Tuesday 25 November 2014

Tuesday - I woke at 5.30am and went up on deck with coffee and a ciggy the water was so flat and a beautiful deep emerald green like silk. I hopped back into bed again and slept until 10.30am Colin was up when I woke up - we both did Boat-keeping jobs until 4.45pm then we went off in the dingy around the corner to Waterfall Bay and said hello to a young couple who live there. I walked back over the hill while Colin came back in the Dingy to pick me up. Off we went again out further to a few different rocky points and caught 6 Blue Cod then came back and I cooked up a delicious coconut/curry fish (from yesterdays catch) chowder while Colin filleted today's fish. It's been warm all day with the odd gentle misty bit of rain. 5-6.30pm we had a power-nap 7pm turned the engine on to charge the freezer /fridge and made use of the water maker to top up the water tanks. The wind has gotten up a bit and the misty rain is still here. Nice and snug inside so it's movie time.
We watched a movie called 'Cyrus' and went to bed about 12.30 - now it is ...
Wednesday 1.35 am and I am not asleep ...Because I am so busy getting accustomed to the energy charge all around - yes wind gusts of up to 38 kts before we went to bed - I have not turned on the instruments, but I,m sure we've been copping 50 kts at times...So it's a bit like the G-Force during take off and landing in a Big Jet with the addition of wind noise and water adding a continuous adrenalin rush to the trip - Of course there are no flight attendants advising us to fasten our seat belts as we are having moments of turbulence ! ..
Being firmly attached to a mooring (6 ton concrete block on the sea-bed) with a line as thick as my wrist is somewhat comforting. Now Colin is up and he's telling me how he can understand how useful the 'lee-cloth' would be at times. So yes we are galloping about and experiencing the ride. Now the Skipper has opened a can of Billy Maverick ( we might as well get into the spirit of things) and I'm going to join him as first mate ."Hello world" he says, as he pushes back the hatch
OK so we are finished our drink's - I ended up putting two cap fulls of Rum in a can of coke and then it fell over during a tipping moment - so half a can was my lot. The highest reading on the wind instrument (while we were watching) told us 48 kts . The weather report did state " very rough seas" and Homestead Bay is sheltered from all winds !!!
Goody.
10.55am
We woke up at 10.30am Colin made coffee, I did some washing and now sitting outside, the wind is a bit nippy, the sea is a picture of innocence and the sun is hot and beautiful. There is a launch on the mooring a bit further out into the bay - I trust it has it's own tale to tell about getting there.
1.30 We are heading out of Homestead Bay and thinking of going to Penzance, in Tennyson Inlet

1 comment:

  1. Just been reading all yr wonderful bloggs. What is a lee cloth captain. This landlover doesnt know lollet me know when you will be heading to the west coast I may pop over if poss to catch up with you. Heading to welly for xmas be back on 28th dec dont start work till 5th jan even somewhere round nelsin would be good . Stay safe xoxo

    ReplyDelete